Monday, June 27, 2011

Friday close, pivot, SMA

For each of the following nine pairs, I've listed the Friday close, the annual pivot points, the 200- and 100-SMA, and the close for 31 Dec. 2010. I look at a series of comparisons such as this every week. While I don't care so much where a market has been as where it is going, some items pop out when you compare various parameters.

First, all pairs except for USD led pairs (USDCAD, USDCHF, and USDCHF) are above their 2010 year-end close. This is generally positive. However, if one considers the highs for the year for each pair, all pairs that are above their 2010 close are below their highs for the year. Of the three below their 2010 close, the USDCAD and USDJPY are above their lows.

Five pairs are below their annual pivot points. In addition to the USD-led pairs mentioned above, both EURJPY and GBPJPY are below.

Four pairs are above their daily 200-SMA. These are AUDUSD, EURGBP, EURJPY (barely), and EURUSD. When price is below a 200-day SMA, it is often bearish. Three pairs are above their daily 100-SMA, AUDUSD, EURGBP, and USDCAD. Surprising about the latter—it is worth watching to see if it maintains that and the 100 serves as support.

I also watch the 50-daily SMA and I am always interested when there is a 50 crossing the 100 or 200, particularly if it occurs in conjunction with a pattern.

Nothing here is definitive unless used in conjunction with other analysis. It is just something to think about.












© Dianne Fecteau, 2011. No part of this material may be reproduced in any form, or referred to in any other publication, without the express written permission of the author.

My purpose in writing this blog is to show you how one trader, me, makes trading decisions and survives while trading Forex. One of the biggest problems I had when I first started trading was trying to apply the “rules” to actual trades. Another was the psychology—limiting losses and letting profits run. If you study my blog, you’ll see how I deal with both those issues. So my writings are not trade recommendations but rather educational in purpose. You have to decide on your own approach to trading. Remember that trading is risky.

No comments:

Post a Comment