Thursday, September 10, 2009

EUR/USD




Well here's the deal with this pair. It's been in an uptrend on the monthly, weekly, and daily charts (as well as on the 3 hour since early September after a consolidation period). With that kind of trending one wants to wait for a pullback to enter.

Had I been on top of things the last hour or so I might have gone long on the pullback on the hourly this morning to 1.4503 with the close at 1.4534. Especially since that was a nice little Fib retracement from the prior low at 1.4467. I wasn't. I didn't.

But there are some other interesting things going on in this pair. Look at the hourly chart above and notice the uptrend lines in both black and orange. Price dipped its teeny tiny toes below the orange line (baby, it's cold down there) and fell below the RSI orange uptrend line yesterday. (sorry, for the funky dates on my charts from Oanda. Today is the 10th but they show it as the 9th--this plays hell with any cycle work I'd be inclined to engage in, I can tell you. Or movements of the planets...oh well, let's save that topic).

The black uptrend line on price shows a divergence with the black downtrend line on RSI. So price going up and momentum is going down. Uh-oh.

The other chart shows a broadening formation on the hourly. I take these seriously. Taking something seriously doesn't mean I'd trade it in and of itself. But now I've got three rather bearish indicators on the EUR/USD hourly. If I look at the candle formations themselves I see a nice strong black candle three bars back and also some indecision with the candle shadows. But this is only the hourly so let's not get too, too carried away with the analysis or start hopping to conclusions. What I'd like to see next is another touch at the high of the broadening formation or a bit higher. Then I might try a short and I can use a fairly tight stop to get me out if price merrily continues past that point, assuming if it happens, that the trend is still very much in force.

Watch the price; watch the price; watch the price. Too many times we trade our expectations. "I'm bullish on the Euro; therefore it must continue up." Or "The Euro is over-valued given economic conditions in Eurozone; therefore it must go down." Uh-uh-uh. While expectations can help us make sense of situations in life--i.e. we can fill in a conversation if we miss a word or two or u cn rd a txt msg despite missing letters--it can cause traders to make stupid and foolish errors, i.e. "Me think bull so I'll ignore the bear signs," or "me big bear so even if it's going up the pair can't be bullish."

Don't trade your expectations.


No comments:

Post a Comment